Medieval history certifies the existence of Fonterutoli (fons rutoli = the spring of Rutoli) already in year 1000.
In this village, which lies on top of a hill separating Chianti from Valdelsa, the Emperor Otto the 3rd granted a privilege in favour of the Church of Arezzo. Afterwards the village became the residence of the aristocratic family Staggia, while the monks of Vallombrosa held the patronage of the near church of San Martino, a patronage also confirmed by Pope Alessandro 3rd.
The village of Fonterutoli has witnessed many negotiations between Florence and Siena, in particular in 1208, when the two respective Podestà agreed to the division of the territories of Poggibonsi and Poggio Imperiale, assigning the first to Siena and the second to Florence.
Tradition has it that Florence and Siena decided to mark their respective territories by choosing as border the place where two knights, each of them departed after the cockcrow, would have met.
The inhabitants of Siena chose a white cock and overfed it all night, believing that at dawn it would have had a lot of energy to sing loud.
On the contrary, the Florentines chose a black cock, and left it without food. The cock, caught by hunger, began to sing long before it was dawn, so the knight left in advance respect to his antagonist. The two knights finally met in the vicinity of Fonterutoli, and in this way Florence obtained the entire territory of Chianti. Since then, the Black Cock represents the symbol of Chianti, in memory of this funny story.
Today few has left of the old medieval castle, except a beautiful manor house, and obviously, the fantastic Chianti Gallo Nero Wine.